Honey+ seeks to add value to a traditional food product by exploring new potentialities far beyond its nutritional value.
The project aims to generate new knowledge on the potential of honey produced in the Natural Park of Montesinho (NPM) to serve as a bioindicator for environmental quality and to investigate its pharmacological properties.
A multidisciplinary team composed of experts with strong skills in analytical chemistry, molecular biology, food science and technology, pharmacology and microbiology will intensely collaborate to accomplish the main goal of the project: the valorisation of the honey from the NPM and, consequently, enhance the regional economy.
* to evaluate if honey can be useful as a bioindicator to assess environmental pollution: the monitoring of different classes of pollutants in air, soil, water resources, plants and NPM honey will be performed.
* to explore the therapeutic and pharmacological potential of the honey produced in the NPM using in-vivo assays.
* to develop analytical methodologies to analyse different classes of pollutants in environmental compartments and honey and for the fast evaluation of the honey’s adulteration;
* to develop innovative tools for honey authentication to guarantee high quality and valued products;
* to characterize the physicochemical parameters of NPM honey samples collected at different locations in the Park;
* to assess in-vitro and in-vivo biological activities.